Location InfoOcker’s Barns and Outbuildings, Oakdale and Bayport, New York, 19th CenturyDescription
This is a complex of four buildings, at least three of which were on the Ocker’s Estate in Oakdale where the house still stands as the centerpiece of the Islip Town Senior Citizen’s Housing Complex and provides office space for the town. The fourth may have been a barn on the property of the Bayport House, located near the railroad in Bayport or the feed shed from the Ockers property. It was originally thought the large barn was built by William Benjamin in 1800, and was purchased by James Ockers in 1876. It now appears that this building was built in the 1830’s but as is often the case construction of structures on Long Island is behind the type of construction and styles popular in the rest of the country. The construction is typical mortise and tendon using wooden dowels and pins. This barn is accompanied by a four seat outhouse and a chicken coop from that property. These buildings were donated by Jerry Kramer.
Henry Ocker’s was one of the first of the Dutch settlers who came to work the Great South Bay from Zeeland, in 1864; his son Jacob (Jake) followed in 1876. The family purchased the original Newton Benjamin homestead circa 1800 on the north side of Montauk Highway in the village of Oakdale, New York. Jacob was founder of Blue Points Oyster Company and was known as the “Oyster King”. He was the largest producer and shipper of oysters nationally and to Europe and this country.
Presently the main barn houses a collection of horse-drawn carriages that need assessment and a preservation plan to preserve this treasure.
In 1989, another smaller barn called the Bayport House Barn was moved to Islip Grange but it is not known much about it or what happened to it or if it is the fourth building as the photos do not match at present. One of the mysteries remaining to be solved.