Location InfoDutch Reformed Church, West Sayville, New York, (Reproduction Model), 1977Description
This is a three-quarter scale reproduction of the original 1867 Protestant Dutch Reformed Church of West Sayville that was in use by the congregation until 1907 when it out grew the building and moved to Cherry Street (now Cherry Avenue). The original building still exists and is now altered to house retail space on the lower floor. It is located at the east end of the small row of stores on Main Street, West Sayville, opposite the West Sayville Fire Headquarters. Prior to its present retail occupancy it was the offices and living quarters of Peppard and Van Emerick Long Distance Moving and Storage.
In a September 6, 1977 memo from Gregory W. Munson, then Commissioner of Human Resources to Peter F. Cohalan, at that time, Supervisor of the Town of Islip, we gain a little additional view into the building and intentions of having a replica of the church. There was community support for it and some of the pews in the church model were contributed by St. John’s Lutheran Church of Sayville which were from their old church and that these pews dated back to the late 1800’s. It was also mentioned that Mike Logrande, the Town Planner at the time thought it would be nice to have occasional services at the historic village and at the time the Sayville Clergy was interested. Right at the moment Nineteenth Century services are conducted twice during the Civil War event and also there are weddings held at the Grange.